counter

Thursday 23 October 2014

I was born bald. Not again!!!

I have noticed recently that I am losing hair at an alarming speed. I have male pattern baldness. If you look at the top of my head, you will see that the pattern is stripes. Hair, skin, hair, skin and so on. Uneven as they are, it is still a pattern of stripes.

It has sped up since I started L-Dopa. Hmmm. Coincidence? After all, I am 68 and hair loss can be natural. But, I tell myself, not at Formula One speed! It should advance slowly and steadily. Like a glacier. My loss is more like hair loss on speed.

I google "hair loss Parkinson's" and I find this:

. Levadopa (l-Dopa)
Levodopa, also called L-dopa, which is converted to dopamine in the brain, remains the gold standard for treating Parkinson's disease. The standard preparations (Sinemet, Atamet) combine levodopa with carbidopa, which improves the action of levodopa and reduces some of its side effects, particularly nausea. Dosages vary, although the preparation is usually taken in three or four divided doses per day.

In general L-dopa has the following effects on Parkinson's disease:

  • It is most effective against rigidity and slowness.
  • It produces less benefit for tremor, balance, and gait.

In many patients, levodopa significantly improves the quality of life for many years.

Side Effects

The toxic effects of levodopa with or without carbidopa are considerable.

Physical Side Effects. The physical side effects include:

  • Dyskinesia. Dyskinesia (the inability to control muscles) is a very distressing side effect of levodopa. Dyskinesia can take many forms, most often uncontrolled flailing of the arms and legs or chorea, rapid and repetitive motions that can affect the limbs, face, tongue, mouth, and neck. Dyskinesia is not painful. No specific drug can strongly be recommended to treat dyskinesia. Amantadine (Symmetrel) may help reduce stiffness and improve dyskinesia. There is also weak evidence that deep brain stimulation of the subthalamus area may be helpful.
  • Low blood pressure. Low blood pressure is a common problem during the first few weeks, particularly if the initial dose is too high.
  • Arrhythmia. In some cases the drug may cause abnormal heart rhythms.
  • Gastrointestinal effects. Stomach and intestinal side effects are common even with carbidopa. Taking the drug with food can alleviate the nausea. However, proteins interfere with intestinal absorption of levodopa, and some doctors recommend not eating any protein until nighttime in order to avoid this interference. The drug can also cause gastrointestinal bleeding.
  • Effects in the lung. Levodopa can cause disturbances in breathing function, although it may benefit patients who have upper airway obstruction.
  • Hair loss.

Wait. What was that last one. Hair loss!!!! Of all the terrible side effects, I get the most benign on the list. I should consider myself lucky but my vanity is getting in the way. I know, I know, suck it up and get on with your life.

OKAY, I heard you.

No comments:

Post a Comment