counter

Friday 18 September 2020

the gate


 

There is a gate with no fence

But it's shut tight and locked

So stand on the outside and wait

my  time is a thread cocooning the lock

But the clock has its hand on the gate

 

Therein shines a figure 

standing guard with a key

she wears around her neck on a chain

her eyes are the entrance

to thrills I'd forgotten

I release all the moths from my brain

 

She beckons me, comforts me

grapples my mind

I'm hither and thither and yon 

Make the night last forever

and don't be discouraged

If you find in the morning I'm gone

 

But where would you go

I asked her at midnite

A time when askers can't wait 

I will just be a moment

She said through her smile

But I have to lock up that old gate

 

 I waited and waited

but nobody came

Perhaps I was lost in a cloud

She could smell my resistance

from that year long ago 

that neither had spoken aloud

 

Then she came from a place 

where angels reside

She came with a scowl on her face

you mean little to me

so little you see

It's time to get out of my place

 

 

 Normally, she muttered

 I'd have given you this key

 Not now,  you came back too late  

try rereading this missive

though with luck you might find

 There's a fence without any gate

No comments:

Post a Comment