counter

Wednesday 16 December 2020

A Short History of Movement

 I can't be sure the years are correct, but the chronological order is right-on


2011- diagnosed with PD (this I am sure of)

2012 - had my first fall when I caught the edge of a paving stone on the sidewalk.  lesson learned - pick your fee up fool.

2013 - same as 2012- gave up running - reluctantly

2014 - on our annual trip to Sobe, I walked my usual 3 mile route with Sharron.  We were both acutely aware that I shuffled when I walked and had a tendency to lean forward.

2015 - gave up free style walking but used "ski" poles to aid balance.  I could really get moving using those.

2016 - 2020.  The ski poles were fabulous.  Over time I got slower.  I had no choice because when I stopped my forward motion, some part of my body convinced my brain that I was still moving until I would come to a sudden stop like against a tree or a wall, or some other immovable object.  Gave up "skiing" this past summer.

This past summer also marked the end of my bicycle career.  It seems you need balance to operate these vehicles.

I can still walk, albeit somewhat slowly but I can still find some amusement in my inability to lift my feet.  I was with my family at the beach and I got onto a flotation device at water's edge and was pushed off shore. When we returned, I hopped off about 10 feet from shore and immediately sunk to my ankles in the soft sand.  I was marooned.  I couldn't get my feet moving and required assistance. 

That kind of embarrassment won't happen again.  As usual, I will adjust, even if I have to wear snow shoes.

Still and all, I am in a very good place.  I have no complaints, just solutions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment