counter

Tuesday 8 December 2020

That ain't the way to have fun, son; that ain't the way to have fun.

 My mind is barren, a desert of pointless ideas. It has pretty much been that way since my wife died in late 2019.  Fortunately, I am writing a book of poetry and my editor keeps asking for more and I enjoy giving it to him.  However, if he doesn't give an idea, I resort to a sort of stream of consciousness and that leads to satisfaction and I am going to use that technique now to talk about falls by parkies.

The other night I was wearing my Victoria lifeline when I  turned too quickly and found myself falling sideways.  Immediately my lifeline called me to inquire about my state.  I was explaining that the call was automatic and I was OK, when the downstairs neighbour came knocking to find out what the big "thud" was.  I was telling her I had fallen but was unhurt when the front desk showed up, followed by my son (contacted by lifeline).  The rest of the time is lost. I wasn't sure if it was just an hallucination, but my son assured me it was real.

I am becoming an expert on falls.  Here are my suggestions on how to avoid them

1.    Festination - if you feel it coming on, and you will, sit down for a couple of minutes and then walk slowly to your destination.  Don't be confused with "fenestration" or you might defenestrate.

2.  Carry objects in one hand and keep the other hand free and ready to reach out, even to a wall, to get rebalanced.

3.  Turn slowly in a semi circular motion.

4.   Lift up your feet and keep one eye to the ground to avoid even tiny anomalies in the surface . 

 That is today's lesson.  Let's hope I do better in the future.  In the meantime read this:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/nov/21/michael-j-fox-every-step-now-is-a-frigging-math-problem-so-i-take-it-slow


No comments:

Post a Comment