counter

Saturday 19 December 2020

Aphasia is not amusing


There are many causes of aphasia, PD is one of them and the aphasia can be mild to severe, depending on the cause.  It interferes with a victim's ability to communicate.

I think I have a mild case of aphasia.  It causes gaps in my speech. I know what I want to say, but when I open my mouth to speak, I momentarily forget the word I wanted.  Usually, I will make myself search my memory banks looking for simple words of description but it can be embarrassing.  

For example, I might be explaining aphasia this way, "I suffer from oh, what's the word, you know, when you forget a word .........etc"

Mine, I can often disguise.  I can't think of how I do this, but I do.

The softening of the voice is also a symptom of aphasia

Aphasia does not affect intelligence!!! and can be treated with speech therapy.  I take that therapy once a week.  It has helped, but I usually can overcome the softness of my voice by willing myself to speak louder.

Finally, in my case, it has taken away, what used to be, beautiful cursive handwriting. You would not be able to read anything I write down now.  I know because, I can't read it either.





Aphasia is a condition that robs you of the ability to communicate. It can affect your ability to speak, write and understand language, both verbal and written.


No comments:

Post a Comment