counter

Tuesday 13 October 2015

I believe in the importance of perseverance

A reader brought up the possibility that exercise might deplete the amount of available dopamine. Interesting. We certainly produce more dopamine when we exercise but I can't conclude that means we are using up a finite amount of the stuff. Well, maybe it does, but that does not fit into my vision of the future. Rather, I believe that exercise is good for the brain and the extra dopamine comes from living cells that will keep on producing until the cell dies off as a result of that mysterious force that killed the other 80% of our dopamine secreting neurons. Maybe there is an unlimited supply as long as the cell is alive. Who knows? Not me?

Now I don't have a clue if I am correct, I'm just another person with the shaking palsy; however, my experience has lead me to 2 conclusions that force me, sometimes against my will, to keep on walking and other light weight training. Here are my conclusions:

  • exercise can reduce the severity of PD symptoms. If I forget my medications when I start my walk, my right hand will start with its embarrassing tremor. The PD cha cha. But, 15-20 minutes into my walk, the tremors have stopped.
  • Exercise will slow the progression of the disease. That is my position on the subject, resulting from years of believing I am always right even in face of opposite evidence. I can be very stubborn. I think it is a family trait.

I am guessing the reader wants the opinion of somebody who knows what he/she is talking about. the following is an excerpt of an essay found HERE

,Although the condition can’t be cured, symptoms can be kept under control with medications, but in some patients surgery may also be required. As for natural remedies, studies suggest that one of the most affordable solutions for PD sufferers is exercise and physical therapy.

A review published in the journal of Translational Neurodegeneration in 2014 showed that various types of physical activity, including resistance and aerobic training can improve the cognitive function of PD patients. Researchers at the University of British Columbia have investigated the effects of exercise on cognition, in patients suffering from Parkinson’s disease as well as in animal models.

Although it’s still unclear how much time PD patients should spend exercising, or what form of physical activity they should perform most of the workout time, the reviewed studies have shown that exercising promotes neuronal proliferation, neurogenesis and neuroprotection.

Similar results were obtained by scientists at the Cleveland Clinic, who have found that PD patients who pedal on a stationary bike 30% faster than their regular rate can gain in aerobic fitness and improve their motor function, coordination and manual dexterity. According to scientists, the improvements were retained for a couple of weeks post workout.

A recent study conducted by researchers at the University of Southern California showed that exercise affects the brain, patients suffering from Parkinson’s disease who exercise regularly being able to move more normally than those who don’t practice physical activities.

.....it's unlikely exercise can completely reduce the symptoms of this neurodegenerative disorder, the existing research suggests that exercising can reduce the manifestations of this condition, improving the patient’s quality of life.

So I learned something today about dopamine and exercise, thanks to the reader. It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

2 comments:

  1. Well, this reader believes you know what you are talking about.

    "Fearlessness is like a muscle. I know from my own life that the more I exercise it the more natural it becomes to not let my fears run me."
    Arianna Huffington

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was jusf diagnosed. I am going to share your blog with him.. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete