counter

Tuesday 6 October 2015

The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting. Sun Tzu

I am at war with....my blankets. Getting out of bed is easy, once we purchased a shorter bed. Prior to that purchase, getting off the bed was an adventure. Now,no more adventure in descending. After I have expended all of my energy in rising to a sitting position, I just let myself slide to the floor.

It is getting back into bed when the battle of the blankets becomes monumental. Do the blankets deliberately wrap themselves around my body as I thrash around trying to get under them?

Wait, I hasten to add that this might not be the fault of PD. It could be something else. I have a tendency to blame any ache or pain on PD and I find myself trying to avoid such conclusions in the vain attempt to believe the "disease" is not advancing.

In fact, most physical problems are more than likely caused by PD but due to the lack of typical PD symptoms, at times I wonder if I was misdiagnosed.

Not a chance! My heavy artillery, my drugs, are simply keeping the symptoms in check while underneath, PD is robbing my brain of dopamine cells. It will eventually win..... unless someone, somewhere, devises a nuclear bomb for eradicating the disease.

I am not complaining. I know I am one of the lucky ones. Five years following diagnosis, and I appear, at most times, to be "normal". But, I don't fool myself, PD is advancing. It is the shaking palsy I am at war with, not my blankets.

My blankets are the expeditionary force. The drugs are simply my weapons of choice.....for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment