counter

Tuesday 27 October 2015

Paracusia - bring it on

Who's that knocking on my wall? Who's that knocking on my wall?

I don't know, but I have heard it 3 times over the past two weeks. Three knocks on my wall but there is nobody there. Poltergeist? Maybe, but more likely it is the PD or the medicine at work.

"Paracusia" or "Paracusis" is a fancy word for "hearing things" or more exactly, "auditory hallucinations" and I have had a few over the past couple of weeks. All but two have occurred during the night just as I am waking (about 2AM every night, when I have to go to see a man about a horse). The first few times they occurred, I convinced myself that they were only a part of a dream that I was enjoying just prior to waking. However, in the past 4 days, I have heard glass breaking, just as I was dozing off. I looked over at my wife and it was obvious she had heard nothing. Then yesterday, I was in a small room with the door closed when someone called my name. It was so real, I answered but I got no answer in return. I opened the door to see ....Nothing.

Frightening? Nope. Intellectually I know what is happening and I just go with the flow. I can't avoid it. I expect hearing things may become part of my reality.

Not all PWP suffer (enjoy?) hearing or seeing that which is not present. PD paracusia is most frequent if one or more of the following is a part of your existence:

  • you are taking dopamine agonists or anticholinergics
  • you are older
  • you have had PD a long time and are into advanced stages
  • you have severely impaired vision
  • you have a sleep disorder.

Dreams or auditory hallucinations? Which name should I give to my wayward imagination? I am not sure yet. I know I am hearing things, but I have yet to decide where I dwell on the Fujita Scale of sanity (or "insanity" as the case may be.) Until I make that decision, I shall continue on with indecision and enjoy it while it lasts.

1 comment:

  1. Freemanic Paracusia: A disorder wherein you hear everything in the comforting voice of Morgan Freeman.

    ReplyDelete