counter

Thursday 21 March 2013

The darker side of irony

My favourite American poet, Robert Frost, once remarked,

“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”

Was he a fatalist, pessimist or optimist? I think a "fatalist". He sounds like I feel today and I am fairly fatalistic these days. Why? Well, follow closely.

Yesterday I saw my neurologist. We did a few physical tests which I passed easily. I mean, how hard can it be to wiggle your fingers! He commented on how well I was progressing. I told him about the incident when I could not control my feet and ended up, face first, in a snow bank. He said that happens with PD and added,"It might never happen again" and "make an appointment for 6 months from now." I walked out of there feeling pretty good

A definition of Irony: incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result

Flash forward. I went for my usual walk today. About 2.5 miles into it, the muscles in my right upper side started to try and bend me sideways, to the right of course. It didn't hurt and I was able to square up my shoulders for a minute or so before the right side started up again. By the time I got home, I had to lean against the outside wall of the house to prevent myself from falling. When I walked into the house, my wife was there and had to steady me so that I would remain upright and get into a position where I was able to sit. I felt somewhat helpless. The right side struggle diminished and after only 5 or so minutes, disappeared completely. That was at 6AM. It is now 6PM and it hasn't showed itself again.

I am doomed to a life of consistent inconsistencies.

Just to lighten up this entry, here is a depiction of irony that I found on the net:

No comments:

Post a Comment