counter

Wednesday 27 March 2013

The inexplicable; the unexplainable.

Sometimes, when I feel a tad uneasy about my condition, I stop and think of people worse off than me. Three of my childhood friends come to mind.

First there is my best friend in my youth who has an illness that renders him helpless. His mind is sharp but his body seems to be failing him and the doctors don't know why.

Next, after 40 years, I got together with another good friend, last October. He was, or appeared to be, in good health; certainly he was full of life and excited about a show he was promoting. He phoned me last week, I think to say "goodbye". His body is riddled with cancer and no treatment will help him.

Finally, a third friend from my youth, who I last saw decades ago, died recently. He had had his heart replaced a few years ago and was doing well - when he died of lung cancer.

The cruelties of life. And I have PD. Is there any comparison? I should count my blessings. I have a degenerative brain disease the symptoms of which are controllable. So, when I get a little down, I think of these three friends and others, and realize I am one of the lucky ones and get on with my life as usual, which now has a touch of sadness to it.

As for my own condition, I am doing well (touch wood). PD and sadness are not things I dwell upon, all the while knowing they linger in my mind, waiting.

I can no longer go for my walk because the sidewalks are wet and icy with a spot here and there to remind me there are some dog owners who cannot fit into the sub-category of "Responsible Owners". To make up for this, we purchased a stationary bike. We had one before, but it just became a place on which to hang our cloths. Now; however, there is incentive to get going on the new one. I am actually looking forward to exercising!

Can I see another's woe,
and not be in sorrow too?
Can I see another's grief,
and not seek for kind relief?

William Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment