counter

Friday 11 October 2013

A lack of habit and routine can be costly. - an essay on the hippy hippy shake.

Jim Morrison once said that drugs are a bet with the mind. I am pretty sure he meant that in a negative way. In my case, and probably for the whole tribe of PWP, it can be said that a lack of drugs is a bet with the mind.

I am not good with remembering to take my drugs (mirapex and amantadine). Unfortunately, I am a touch obsessive and when I start to work, all of my energy and common sense is focused on the product of my work. Medication? What me worry? (remember Mad magazine) I will take them soon. But "soon" apparently has a different meaning in my world because I put off taking the meds until I forget about them completely. Yesterday, I went about 12 hours without taking one dose and the result was I got that Parkie feeling - tired, light headed, slow, difficulty with balance and a pronounced shaking tremor. The voices of the people talking to me were hollow sounding and my responses were slow and full of stammers. I had difficulty manuevering around the grandchildren and their toys. I was a sober drunk.

Today, I am fully medicated and the shakes have retreated. My brain is functioning again. Jim Morrison's statement can now be viewed as being positive, the drugs have won the bet, much to the relief of my body. I am not completely normal as I am going now to have a nap (a "lie down" as Basil Fawlty used to say). I just can't shake the exhaustion that can only be understood by PWP.

One of the "yogiisms" of that famous Yankee catcher, Yogi Berra, that I whole-heartedly agree with is, "I usually take a 2 hour nap between one and four".

Page Views for the past week

  1. United Kingdom 51
  2. Canada 48
  3. United States 41
  4. China 11
  5. Russia 3
  6. Ukraine 3
  7. Germany 2
  8. Kazakhstan 2
  9. Belarus 1
  10. Iran 1

Total to date: 17,525

No comments:

Post a Comment