counter

Saturday 12 October 2013

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded....

There are 1.265 million people in my province and apparently only 6,000 of us suffer from PD. If you just take these two populations, it means I had about a 1/2 of 1% chance of being a PwP, as did each of my fellow PDers.

I bring this up because yesterday, I went to a lecture on income tax. There were approximately 100 participants, but still several empty seats. I sat at the back, as is my wont, so I could escape if the lecture got boring, which was highly probable - I mean it was on income tax. There was an empty seat beside me and a large man sat down and introduced himself just as the lecture started. Now, I was heavily medicated so I bore no signs of my dark passenger (I am a fan of Dexter). After awhile, I noticed his right hand doing the PD polka as it rested on his knee. Couldn't be, I said to myself. He must be hearing interior music and he is just keeping time. But, the hand and one finger did not stop moving except when he folded his arms, took a drink, or tried to make notes. The movement was especially noticeable when the hand was resting on his knee. He had it! A parky brother! The first I had met in real life!

What are the odds? There must have been 30 open chairs to sit in but he chose the one beside me. Two lawyers, with you-know-what, seated together at a dreaded lecture on income tax. I ask you again; what are the odds!? I used to know how to calculate them but that little gem of knowledge has faded with time. I do however, know those are long odds.

I intended to ask him if he was a fellow traveler, but I had to leave as my parking meter was getting to the point where a tow away was distinctly possible. The next time I see him, I will(or he will) welcome him (me) into the fraternity, Phi Beta Shakeah, the brotherhood of PwP, who figure God's dice must be loaded. Someone in the game is cheating.

Of course God and the high rolling angels can always counter with Un coup de des jamais n'abolira le hasard""


A throw of the dice will never abolish chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment