counter

Tuesday 22 October 2013

Stress: Can be a Noun or Verb (tansitive or intransitive). But, who cares?

Stress Takes Its Toll in Parkinson's Disease

"It is believed that stress management and other stress relieving activities can improve the condition and reduce the symptoms of Parkinson's disease sufferers. Along with proper medication, good sleep patterns and regular exercise, stress management can be an effective strategy in managing the disease and reducing the rate of progression of the disease.....Reducing stress is the key to keep Parkinson's disease symptoms to a minimum....(See: 2007 Stress Management Review)

If stress can speed up the onset of PD, then a lack of stress should slow down the loss of dopamine producing neurons. So PWP should avoid stress - noun, verb, whatever. See if you recognize your stress as a noun or a verb in the following examples. If you do, kick that part of speech" to the curb". Slow down. Relax. Just let the moment pass.

  • Example: Stress as a noun, Funerals can cause stress.
  • Example: Stress as a transitive verb, He stessed the fact that he was emotional at funerals.
  • Example: Stress as an intransitive verb, Don't stress about the funeral

Funerals! What's all this talk about funerals and stress? Well, sit back and relax and I will tell you my story

My mother died a few weeks back. She welcomed death and knowing that, the family decided to hold a celebration of a life long lived and so they arrived from east and western Canada. We were a crowd of 21 people and much to my brother's disgust the funeral director gathered the family in a separate room to await the family entry into the chapel, the "perp walk" as my brother called it with a nervous laugh. It was then I noticed a slight tremor in my right hand. The service began, the slight tremor began to increase. When two of my children and their cousin began to read the eulogy I had written, emotion came into play and my pointing finger started to bounce. When the readers reached the final paragraph, two of them began weeping while the third tried to hold it together in order to finish. It was a valiant effort, but he did choke up and weeping and sniffling was rampant. As for me, the tears came and the right handed tremor began a jitterbug that lasted trough the reception, through the wake and all the next day. It settled into a mid-sized tremor on the following day and today, it has slowed to a slight wiggle.

Do you think it was stress that caused that unregulated right hand to appear? Of course it was; I lost a few hundred more neurons than usual in those four days. Maybe many more. In fact, I think that if each neuron lost was equal to a calorie, I would have turned into a hunk a hunk of burning love. A shaky hunk, but a hunk nevertheless.

Excuse me while I look for a mirror

No comments:

Post a Comment