counter

Thursday 3 October 2013

I think I am aging in dog years.

I forgot my evening dose of medicine Monday night and was wakened at about 4AM by a wrenching cramp in my leg. That was a wake up call to remind me not to forget. The problem is, as I grow older, I grow stupider by the day and I have over developed the art of forgetting. I would program reminders into my phone but I, much to my disgust, have become technology-challenged when it comes to smart phones. I am on the road to becoming a luddite.

My right hand is shaking more persistently these days and, at times, I feel like I am walking on a waterbed. I think it is stress. My mother died this past weekend. She was 95 and enthusiastically welcomed the grim reaper. It is a time of celebration for a life well lived, no heavy grief, but plenty of stress. They say that in life we search for utopia and in death we find it. Good for you mom.

By the way, I never did tell my mother about my condition. She had enough problems without worrying about me. Fortunately, she died before the symptoms of PD surfaced. Thank goodness for small victories.

I think I will double my dose of mirapex to see if I can stop this bothersome hand jive. I am not fond of regular dancing (much to my wife's disappointment) so you can imagine my feelings about the rhythm of the PD dance. I'd rather trim my nose hairs with a weed whacker than occupy the dance floor.

But I digress. Back to PD. Sometimes I fear what lies ahead. Not often; just sometimes. Then I give my head a shake. Nobody can predict with any accuracy how fast PD will take over, so when that fear creeps in, I just think about Star Wars - as Yoda said, "Always in motion is the future."

May the force be with you.

1 comment:

  1. I am a PWP and love your amusing and pertinent articles. I was diagnosed about 3 yrs ago and my mother died this year aged 97 and three quarters. I never told her about my PD for the same reasons and she never noticed. She was happy to depart too. She was raised and schooled in Winnipeg and we spent wonderful summers at our cottage at Victoria Beach in the 50's., no cars, no electricity, water from a big pump. I now live in Scotland (Nr Birnam Wood!) and, like you, am in danger of becoming a luddite and, worse, my husband IS a luddite! I look forward to your postings and thank you very much. Jane (I have no idea what profile to select....)

    ReplyDelete