counter

Sunday 27 October 2013

All generalizations are false, including this one. (Mark Twain)

I hate exercise; although, I had been a runner for about 30 years until PD forced me to the ground in a rather violent manner. It's OK. It gave me a reason to stop running. Exercise! Every step is a misery, every lift a conundrum and don't get me started on my god-forsaken stationary bike. But, all the research I have read says exercise can slow down the progression of PD and that will be a fact, probably until the next "big" discovery comes along. It might claim that PWP should not exercise, but should take warm baths or whatnot.

However, being the lemming that I am, I am sticking with the exercise protocol currently in vogue. I have been asked what my particular exercise regime is. It is not arduous, just mind numbing. I mean how many times can one person listen to Afghanada on the ipod?! This is my new sequence. Sunday around 5AM, walk 3 miles, stopping only to get a newspaper and a coke at the local 7/11. Monday, ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes, try to keep my heart rate in the 95-115 range; when finished, I walk to the 7/11 (about 1/2 of a mile in total) to get a paper and a coke, Wednesday lift dumbbells for a half an hour in various positions and do the 7/11 routine, Thursday no exercise. Begin a new cycle on Friday, only in reverse. I also do about 20 minutes of stretching before the torture. The result? Well, I am fairly certain exercise works but strangely I put on a pound or three and I get tired, exhausted actually, and have to take a nap in the afternoon.

As the man said, I need 8 hours of sleep a day................. and another 8 at night.

Total page views to date.....17,954!

No comments:

Post a Comment