counter

Thursday 29 January 2015

As independent as a hog on ice

My wife bought me a fitbit. What a piece of work! It tells me the time of day, how many steps I have taken (up to 2:30 today I had 6554 - my aim was 10,000 but it is too cold to walk the remaining steps), how many miles I have gone today (3.4) and other stuff, including how many hours I sleep at night with the times I awake and the amount of restless sleep i have. It is an incredible little gem about the size of a lady's wristwatch. Now if someone could invent that, curing PD should be a no brainer!

The fitbit inspires me to get out and walk, use the stationary bike and lift weights, all of which I am certain slows the advance of PD. How can I be certain? Because if I forget my medication before starting my walk, my hand will tremor for the first half mile and then disappear for the rest of my trek (my fitbit tells me my walk is 3.04 miles). If you are a person with PD, get off your duff and exercise.

Of course exercising can also be hazardous. As I predicted, the melt we had yesterday turned to ice over night so when I went out this morning, I made sure to remove the rubber tips from my trekking poles. Good thing. I used them to prevent slipping but I also used them to prevent the parkie gait. The top of my body, from the waist up, wanted to move faster than my lower body. I used the poles to stab the ice in front of me to keep upright. Without them, I would have started falling forward into that peculiar run which inevitably ends with a face plant. I will be using those poles, even when we go to South Beach, no matter how many strange looks I get. They just don't understand snow and ice down there. One reporter wrote during the winter olympics, They have strange events, like the biathlon with lots of skiing and shooting. We are not familiar with this; although, we do get the "shooting" part, but not the skiing.

I am certain they will think me odd using ski poles in 75 degree weather, no snow; just sand. Who cares? It's better than falling on my face. We leave in a couple of weeks. Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment