counter

Sunday 18 January 2015

Sleep is like an 80 foot great white shark - I think they must exist, but I doubt I will ever see one

The sleep of PD patients is profoundly disturbed, even relative to other neurodegenerative conditions. One survey has estimated that prevalence of sleep disturbance in PD at 98%. Another study I looked at said between 40 - 90%. So who knows? All I care about is that I have real sleeping problems and I read the condition worsens as the "disease" progresses.

Here are some of the symptoms I have had to endure over the past 4 years:

  • difficulty turning over in bed - every night is a struggle. My covers have declared war on me and getting in and out of bed is a treat!
  • feeling very sleepy during the day - (see below)
  • vivid nightmares - I have a few but some of them were interesting, not scary, but the ones that were, scared the poop out of me.
  • nocturia (waking up at night needing to go to the toilet) - What? Doesn't everybody?

Yesterday, while immersed in Duolingo (re-learning my french) I fell asleep - TWICE. Usually I get involved in the program, concentrating to the nth degree. I am driving my wife crazy with the noise from my ipad when the program rings a bell, or something, whenever you answer correctly or incorrectly. Anyway I have never fallen asleep before while doing something that challenged me intellectually. Re-learning french is a huge challenge because as the comedian once said "Oh those French, they've got a different word for everything"

In any event, I should not have fallen asleep suddenly and without warning.I got a little anxious so I did some quick internet research and found the following statement concerning PD and excessive daytime sleepiness:

  • Daytime sleepiness This condition may result in a so-called “sleep attack,” a sudden onset of sleep that occurs without warning and may lead to serious accidents.

God forbid I should fall asleep while driving! I think my wife will do most of that now - it's more relaxing. I don't believe those stories about women drivers. I think the poor lady in this picture was an aberration....

Drive safely and sleep tight.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for this post! It's very important to speak about us, The Shadow's Fighters. Today, I feel less lonely :-) I wanted to post about our Parkinson' sleep habits but I haven't done yet.
    At least, as you, I often use this time to write and I learned English and now Spanish. I'm french … If you want to practice your French … most of the time, I trying to write my posts both English and French. I would be happy to share it with you: http://filsdep.blogspot.com.es. Thanks again for this funny and lively post! Lili

    ReplyDelete