counter

Thursday 15 September 2016

Talking about my degeneration

J of Grey Cottage commented that a sense of humour should be added as a third component helping to slow the progress of my epic struggle with PD. I think you've got something there J. You offer the wisdom of the ages and I thank you for your insight.

Voltaire said something to the effect that good medicine amuses the patient while nature cures the disease and somewhere in the Bible is found “A cheerful heart is a good medicine, but a downcast spirit dries up the bones.” What an idea! Laugh in the face of a dreary future.

When I was diagnosed I was confronted with two options:

  1. I could moan my misfortune and wither away, living my life filled with self pity or
  2. I could look for humour in my situation and make good use of the time I had left before my body withered away, but not my mind.
That was it, I could cry or I could laugh.

Initially, I chose to do both. Well not really. I was taken aback, but I didn't know anything about PD, so I wasn't too upset. Thus only the second choice was available to me......Humor. I still have moments of doubt, but they are just that - moments. I truly believe there will be advancements in the treatment of PD in my lifetime and I choose to chortle my way into the future.

In his book, The Anatomy of an Illness, Norman Cousins wrote about the effect of humour on his ankylosing spondylitis, a very painful condition. He remarked that 10 minutes of belly laughter allowed him 2 hours of pain free-sleep. Humour deflects our negative thoughts. No more dwelling on our problem. In a sense, there is a negative correlation between laughter and pain. The more you laugh, the less you hurt. Sounds good to me.

Yes, we have a devastating "disease". Declare war on it. We have two weapons to slow down its progress while waiting for a brilliant young researcher to find a cure, exercise and laughter. It will take time but a cure is on the horizon. Be patient.

In the meantime, did you hear the one about the fellow who was shaken when diagnosed with parkinson's?

Get it?

No comments:

Post a Comment