counter

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Let's hear it for the USA and Michael J.

I was at a junior high basketball game some years ago and the crowd was chanting "All right, all right, all right, let's go". It was quite the thing to hear and it really got to the opposition, leading to a hometown win.

So, Michael J., you good ol' Canadian boy, all right, all right, all right, let's go. With funding from Michael's foundation, an American drug company has invented a Levodopa inhaler that will really help those who suffer from on/off problems.

I was asked recently if I would go to the USA for amantadine (there is a shortage here). Having done so in the past (unrelated to PD), I, of course, answered in the affirmative. Let me assure you that if I ever do suffer from wearing off, and the inhaler is not approved by Canadian authorities, I will be in Grand Forks, North Dakota, with bells on, whatever the cost. Their health system might be way more expensive than ours, but it seems to me that most innovations come from the States (sometimes with the help of a good ol' boy from Canada).

The American politician, Mike Ferguson, once said, "America's doctors, nurses and medical researchers are the best in the world, but our health care system is broken." Broken? Maybe, but right or wrong, I ,for one, am glad Grand Forks, ND, is only 150 miles south of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment