counter

Sunday 28 August 2011

Res Ipsa Loquitur

In March, 1998, the area around both of my ankles and shins began to hurt and burn. My ankles and heels could not touch anything without experiencing pain. I began to sleep with my feet hanging off my bed.

The shin pain interfered with my running so I went to a sports clinic. The doctor was young and "specialized in shin problems". Unfortunately he was also one of those rare doctors who goes to school, learns a few tricks, and expects minor deification.
"Shin splints," he announced.
"I don't think so," I responded, "I have had shin splints many times and this pain is different."
"It's shin splints," he replied, his mind moving on to something else.
"Shin splints in both legs at the same time?"
"It happens." I was dismissed.

The pain was relentless and I couldn't sleep, so I decided to see the most popular doctor at the same clinic to get a diagnosis and zopiclone to help me sleep.
"Shin splints and I don't prescribe sleeping pills. I would rather deal with the cause of inability to sleep rather than giving you pills." He picked up some papers and headed for the door. "Make an appointment to see me."

I decided to try him out but his nurse said he had nothing open for 3 months. So, on to another one, at the same clinic, but this time female in hopes of getting a sympathetic hearing. She was quite caring but diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis.

"In both feet, at the same time?"

"It happens. They will heal over time and in the meantime, use these inserts. They should help the pain." She had given me a good physical, and she meant well, she was just stymied and plantar fasciitis was the only thing that came to mind. But, I had had plantar fasciitis in the past, and this was not the same.

Her inserts did not help, and I suffered over the next 12 years. I saw other doctors who took their time with me. They tried physio, cortisone shots, laser therapy (is that not just snake oil therapy?), etc, but nothing helped. Finally, my GP said I would just have to live with it. Not what I wanted to hear, but the man was honest and had given it his best shot. The pain did reduce over time and I learned to adapt.

Then, I was diagnosed with PD and prescribed mirapex. Within a week, the mysterious pain had disappeared. I have read that if a symptom reacts positively to PD medicine, you might want to see a neurologist. Was that pain my first symptom of PD?

Do I blame the doctors? I do not. Parkinson's would not have been high on my list of diseases that might have caused my condition. It probably never occurred to them.

John Lennon once said that God is a concept by which we measure our pain. I think he was right, especially when I think of all the profane phrases, containing references to the almighty, I had whispered through 12 years of suffering, when lying in bed with my feet dangling over the end.

It feels good to be pain free.

Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment