counter

Friday 20 January 2012

“As any action or posture long continued will distort and disfigure the limbs...."

I had my first physio appointment at the movement disorder clinic. The physio was very knowledgeable about PD and how to prevent/lessen its ravages. She did a thorough assessment and provided stretches and strength exercises, but the greatest emphasis was on posture and the object of her stretches and exercises was to help the body maintain good posture.

PD tends to cause the shoulders and neck to roll forward, while also causing the PWP to take small steps. Therefore, I must correct my posture to train the muscles to keep my shoulders back and my head up and I must train my mind and muscles to take big steps. The regime of exercises she gave me is not onerous and I should have no trouble doing them. If I get lax, I am sure my wife will set me straight (no pun intended).

The key to a healthy body and good posture appears to be flexibility because PD causes the muscles to tighten up. She asked me if I wanted to try Yoga or Pilates,

" Well...ah...um...but....huh?"

As soon as it has been reliably ascertained that hell as frozen over, then, and only then, will I try those methods.

So, not wanting to look like an idiot while trying to turn myself into a pretzel, I declined her kind offer. I will get my muscles stretched by myself, in private, thank you very much.

Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment