counter

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Mugged by reality

I decided on an experiment on this morning's walk - I would do it without the aid of drugs. I started out at 4:45AM and for the first 15 minutes, my hand was jumping around like the frogs of Calaveras County but, if I actually made my arm swing - the tremor settled down. After a few more minutes of walking, the tremor disappeared completely, arm swing or no arm swing. Exercise does work!

I was tremorless when a car pulled up adjacent to me across the road. Now, even though I live in the good part of town, it was dark, and our city has several youth gangs with quaint names such as Mad Cowz and Indian Posse, gangs known for their violent behaviour. Was the person exiting his car a gangbanger looking for a victim? He stepped out of the driver's side, looked at me, quite intently, then reached back into his car to retrieve something. A weapon maybe? I wasn't sure if I should turn down a side street and run or not. My hand started bouncing around and kept on dancing even as the stranger put a letter in the mailbox beside his car.

Now, when I think about it, he was probably more nervous about me, given the way I was dressed. Here is a photo of me on that morning.


As you can see, it was a rather chilly morning and I was dressed for the weather. There are not very many people out walking at that time of the day, not even dog walkers, so I can imagine he might have been a touch nervous.

The tiny amount of stress I had encountered caused PD to take control of my hand and it was at least a mile before it settled back to normal.

Lesson for today: It is better to live in fear of being mugged than be mugged, even if it is only in your imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment