counter

Sunday 3 February 2013

The Log Driver's Waltz

It is still cold out. Well, maybe not all that cold. About -25C. I put on more layers than an Antarctic explorer and go out into the fresh, but frosty, morning (5AM). It is Sunday so I will be amazed if I see anyone or anymore than 3 or 4 cars. I decide to walk on the other side of the street, the side the junior high is on. The sidewalk grader has taken a couple of inches of snow off the walk and hundreds of students' footprints have packed the remaining snow down so that the sidewalk is as slick as the ice on a nearby hockey rink. I have "Johnny B. Goode", the George Thorogood rendition, on the ipod and it has given life to my pace. I hit an icy spot in front of the school and suddenly my arms are flailing about. I am an out-of-control marionette. My feet are those of a log driver burling down the river. Somehow, in all this confusion, fortunately without an audience, I manage to remain upright, but I still cringe and curse the winter. The only good thing is, it was not caused by PD and the remainder of my walk is uneventful.

Fortunately, we leave winter behind us in 2 weeks. We are going back to South Beach (Miami) to enjoy a few weeks of summer. We leave behind our children, one of whom occupies the house and has said he will keep our walkways clear of snow (sure he will!) and grandchildren. We will miss them, of course, but hey - we arrive the day before President's Day, my wife's favourite day. If you have never been in the States on Black Friday or President's Day, you have missed out on the best shopping days in North America. When stores in the USA have a sale, it is truly a SALE. My wife has her Macy's credit card ready to go, while I will just soak up the sun. I have found that my symptoms are less of a nuisance in the warm air so I will spend many hours just walking the board walk and admiring the art deco hotels.

I dreamt last night that I was running the beach. I could actually feel the breeze as I cruised along. I haven't run in months, afraid that I would lose my centre of gravity and be totally out of control. But, I am going to try again, early in the morning, when the denizens of the beach are only the homeless and the seagulls. I used to hate running. Now I am looking forward to making the attempt. I think it was Babe Ruth who was quoted as saying something to the effect not to let the fear of striking out keep you back. OK Babe, I won't be afraid. The heat and the beach await. Onward and upward, blah, blah, blah. I will keep you posted.

At last, to get away from this gallery of frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment