counter

Thursday 21 February 2013

Of cops, homeless men and Whoop-te-do

South Beach, especially Ocean Drive, is very safe. Normally there are police all over the place, in cars, on bikes and ATV's and on foot. My wife and I started our walk, when I stumbled upon a wallet fat with money and credit cards. An ID card showed the owner to be from Maine. The chances of me finding him were nil, so we decided to give it to a cop. There were none in sight. What were the odds? This place is usually littered with the Po-leese. We got our exercise in trying to find one. A half hour later we located a cop , seated on an ATV. Young and muscular. Enough to impress anyone. He took the wallet, opened it and remarked sarcastically, "A wallet. And there is still money in it!" like he would normally expect the money to be gone. But then he looked up and sincerely said, "Thank you". We walked away, satisfied we had done our duty

If you are going to be homeless, South Beach is the place to be. Not only is it hot, there is plenty of room to set up home. They sleep in the open, all day, hardly ever moving. The beach goers walk by and essentially ignore them, sneaking peeks out of the corner of one eye. One man, an old fellow with dreads and a huge suit case, has been in the same spot now for the past 4 years. He just sits and sits some more. Another guy is permanently dressed as Santa Clause. Most just wear dirty clothing better suited for colder climates. Some times these mysterious men gather in groups to swap "war" stories and make fun of ordinary people walking by. No harm done. They should have their moments, but this all happens in the shadows of million dollar condos in multi-million dollar high rises.

At the same time, the world famous South Beach Wine and Food Festival is happening. Last year we decided to attend. It cost $150 each. How extremely decadent and wasteful. You gather in these enormous tents where famous chefs treat you a taste of their ware. Wine and alcohol is free and flowing. It was a total waste of money. There were so many people there, it was difficult to get a sample of food. I figure it cost about $10 per bite. I wonder what the homeless thought? I know I would have gotten more satisfaction splitting he $300 between Dreadlocks and Santa Claus.

Yesterday afternoon, I went for a 3 mile walk (too nervous to run)I felt good. In fact, I feel really good. No symptoms at all. Is it the heat or lack of stress? Whatever it is, give me more. I like feeling normal! Did you hear that world? I LIKE FEELING NORMAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment