counter

Saturday 6 March 2021

Absurdism = we keep looking for meaning in a meaningless world

What is the meaning of life and how do you answer what is unanswerable.

 

This is just my attempt to explain existential.  Please if you see errors or you can expand on my thoughts, please do.

 

 

First, you need to know the meaning of essence which is a set of core properties that enable something to be what it is.  For example, a knife consists of a blade and a handle, it doesn't matter if the handle is wood or cork, it is still knife, but if it has no blade, it is no longer a knife.  The blade is the essential property of the knife. Essentialists believe that the essence of the thing came before its existence.  They believe God imbued the thing (including humans) with a set of core values to enable the thing to be what it is and once the essenses are complete, only then does it give the thing its existence.  That way the individual need not concern himself with the meaning of life as is  path has been pre-ordained by God.  We can see the basis of essentialism is that the essentials come before existence.

 

 

 

The existential movement proposes that existence precedes the essentials.  You are what you make yourself to be.  You are the sum of your choises, your actions.  There is no greater power determining your future and nobody can make your choices for you. We are forced, condemned, to choose how we make our way in life

 

I found the following examples of an existential question:

 

What is the meaning of life? = What is the meaning (essence) of existence?

Who am I (essentially)? What is my true nature/essence? What is my true identity?

 

What is my greater purpose? How should I live my life?

 

What is death? What happens when we die?

Is there a god, and, if so, what is her /his/its nature?

 

In my poem THE SPEED OF DARK, I refer to a woman's thoughts as being "existential" meaning she was looking for meaning in a meaningless world.  For some reason, that attracted me.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment