counter

Monday 29 March 2021

There's a light, a certain slant of light

I came across Dickinson's poem about a slant of light and what I discerned her topic to be all about life's despair.  It momentarily made me feel a bit lousy (I liked the poem  It rhymed!); but, as I thought it through, her slant of light was a winter light and the poet probably had the blues.

When I awoke this morning, I saw a slant  of light, but it lifted me up.  It was a spring slant and as I lay in bed, I thought of my life having a positive slant.  Sure I have had a tragedy, the death of my wife set me back and I still carry that pain, and then there is living with PD,  followed by the death of 4 good friends.  Such circumstances should floor me and have me wallowing in Dickinson's despair, but it doesn't. I have a family that keeps me high - three kids, four grand children, a daughter and son-in-law all bring me joy and keep me out the pit.  Also adding to my positivity are my brother (his generosity is boundless), his family, my sister and her family and a group called the Shilobrats, particularly those who correspond regularly, almost daily, (www.shilobrats.com), all good friends from my youth.

And lastly, I finally found a partner who got me going on my poetry.  Without his help, I would never have got around to having a book of my poetry published (due out in summer) and that project has kept me focussed on matters other than Dickinsonian slants of light. 

To hell with PD!  I feel relatively good, physically and mentally, right now.

                              "Action is the antidote to despair" - Joan Baez

No comments:

Post a Comment