counter

Monday 12 March 2012

The Richter Scale

About 30 years ago, I practiced law downtown and each lunch hour I would go to the public library to relax. One day I was sitting in an easy chair in the library when I felt a rumble go through me. I wondered what it was and looked to see the reactions of other patrons. There were none. Now we don't have earthquakes here on the Canadian prairies, so I put it down to the rumble of traffic; although, the rumble had been quite dramatic. Over the next few weeks, it happened a few more times, in various locations, with never any reaction from others around me. That is when I realized, it was an internal rumble or tremor. It was inside me!! I was going to go to the doctor to complain, but the rumble disappeared and never returned.

Now I wonder if that was not the first warning symptom of PD. It seems possible.

Speaking of earthquakes, here is my Richter scale for hand trembling down here in Miami Beach. (1 = minor tremor; 5 and above = major tremor.)

Doing morning stretches = 1

Walking with my right arm unengaged and hanging loose = 3

After a hard run on the beach in cool weather (74F) = 5

After a hard run on the beach in warm weather (85F) = 5.5

Relaxing on the beach trying to read a book = 6

Relaxing on the beach with my hand in my lap doing nothing = 7

Running along the topless beach = WHOA!!!

For any of these, I have strategies to reduce the tremor including, for higher Richter values, for example, I carry an ipod in my right hand and hold it tightly and for lessor Richter values, I make a fist in my right hand and squeeze it tightly. For the topless beach, I employ a face-saving strategy; I try to keep my eyes straight, while trying to avoid running into other runners.

For, as Will Rogers once said, "I never expected to see the day when girls would get sunburned in the places they do today."

No comments:

Post a Comment