counter

Tuesday 16 August 2011

The Goldilocks Supremacy

PD can be Ok.  By that I mean it does not always manifest itself in outrageous tremors or leg cramps; rather, it manifests itself in less ugly versions.  Other times, it can be bad, like when it does manifest itself in those behaviours, often sending pain coursing through your body.  Finally, PD can be just right - ie - no symptoms.  This generally happens first thing in the morning but also during exercise.

Studies have shown that exercise improves the symptoms of PD.  Other studies with animals show that exercise may influence the progression of PD. My exercise sessions are intense - always have been.  Yesterday for example, I race walked for 2 miles, biked for 2 miles, hit the weight room for bench presses, dips, pull ups, chest flys, and a couple of resistance machines that will increase muscular strength for muscles involved in improving balance. 65 minutes. Usually I run, but I have pulled a groin muscle.  I fit in this torture 2 or 3 times per week.  On the other days, I walk for an hour.  My symptoms completely disappear about 10 - 20 minutes into an exercise session.

Not everyone should try to match this routine for two reasons (1) it is not necessary, any form of regular exercise is valuable for PD victims and (2)  I have a touch of OCD when it comes to exercise - face it, I am crazy.

However, my research convinces me that everyone who suffers from PD should exercise.

My favourite exercise is a long walk at my cottage at Lake Winnipeg.  I almost stopped doing it when one day, I had a serious fall - several cuts and bruises.  I was walking along, enjoying the day, and the next thing I knew, I was tumbling head over heels down the sidewalk.  Is this going to be my future? I wondered.  I could have cried.  I continued my walk, blood and all.  I had heard of PWP's (people with parkinson's) falling but I couldn't believe it could happen to me so early in its progression!

Some days later, I retraced my steps to the point of my fall.  There was a heave in the sidewalk, high enough to trip anybody not paying attention.  I decided, it was not PD that had caused the accident, it was my stupidity in not watching where I was going.  The PWP in the UK forum suggested the typical shuffling gait of PD could have contributed and I should make sure I think "heel, toe, heel, toe"  when I walk.  I do so religiously now.

On July 31, I wrote in the UK forum:


Today I decided to retrace the path I had taken when I had my first fall.  This time I used the heel heel mantra.  I walked to the shore of Lake Winnipeg, our beautiful inland sea with white sand beaches and warm, shallow water.  Some years, in the tall grass, I would be eaten alive by mosquitos the size of seagulls, but today I was swarmed by thousands upon thousands of dragonflies, the mosquito's worst nightmare.  Today, I am in a mosquito-free zone.  I continued my walk without incident and for an hour, I did not have parkinson's..... and then........my hand started to shake and parkinson's whispered in my ear "I am not going anywhere!".  To which I responded, "neither am I" and I clenched my fist to calm the tremor and just to show who is boss around here.

For that hour, everything was just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment