counter

Monday 15 August 2011

Gonna boogie for the Doctor

Most of you may never have heard of King Biscuit Boy, a Toronto bluesman/rocker from the early 70's.  In his iconic tune, Biscuit's Boogie, he sings, "I may get better, but I'll never get well."   Kind of reminds me of PD.  The drugs may make my life better, but I will always have parkinson's looking over my shoulder and reminding me it will be there with me when I die.

What is that "parkie feeling"?  From what I understand, it is different for everyone. My "parky" is a feeling like you have been drinking a little, dancing alot, and have gotten a little light-headed and dizzy.  More accurately, for me it starts off when I waken.  I feel good, alive and full of energy.  That lasts about an hour, then I get a light feeling throughout my body.  I can't describe it any other way.  I feel like I can float, only in a bad way.  A couple of hours later, I start to get tired and around noon, a wave of exhaustion hits me.  Think of a time when you were really tired and double that.  Curiously, the exhaustion leaves me in the evening.  If I didn't take that wonderful little pill, zopoclone, I might be awake most of the night. 

With all this going on, I think I picked the right doctor. He has empathy for my condition but can communicate with me with a touch of humor in his professionalism.   I expect we will get to know each other very well over the next decade or so.  In the words of King Biscuit Boy, "I'll boogie for the doctor, boogie for the nurse.  I'll keep on boogying til they put me in a hearse."


By the way, King Biscuit Boy died a few years ago. I think he was 57.

Listen to Biscuit's Boogie

No comments:

Post a Comment