counter

Saturday 20 August 2011

We all have a face that we hide away forever

I am sitting on a bench in South Beach.  My wife is trying to take a picture of me.  "Smile," she says. What are you talking about, I am smiling.  "Come on Doug, smile or at least light up a little."  Huh?  What does she mean?  She takes the picture and hands the camera to me. My god!  The camera has sucked all the life out of me.  I look like the corpse of Otzi, the mummified iceman.  My face is long, grey and expressionless.  I hand the camera back.  "Try again," I say.  This time we are successful.  I am smiling.  Still not the reincarnation of Steve McQueen, but acceptable.

"That is the second time this month I have seen that face," my wife adds, "Totally unengaged." I silently vow, I won't let it happen again.

Then I am diagnosed and I read about Muhammed Ali.  I remember seeing him on stage at an awards show.  He was there with George Foreman, representing the movie, "When We Were Kings".  Foreman was animated, Ali was expressionless.  I knew he had PD, but at least he could have smiled.   I was later to learn about the parkinsonian mask-like facial expression, which is to say, no expression.  Ali, diagnosed in 1979, was a victim of the mask.

And now, I too had been visited by parkinson's trying to put its brand on me.  Not going to happen.  Since then, I do facial exercises and I have not had a recurrence.

In the words of Groucho, "I never forget a face but in your case, I will make an exception."

From now on, as someone once remarked, I will keep my face to the sunshine and let the shadows fall behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment