counter

Tuesday 16 August 2011

Oblivious to the rose?

I guess everybody who came of age in the 60's memorized quotes from Kahlil Gibran.  I am no different.  Here's mine, "The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns.  The pessimist sees only the thorns and is oblivious to the rose" (or something like that - you get the idea)

I am by nature, optimistic.  I can't ignore the rose.  I saw Dr. Oz on TV about a year ago when he said he believed PD would be cured within the next decade.  My own doctor said he thought MS would be cured before he retired (10 years).  He wasn't sure about PD, but my reading of degenerative diseases puts a cure for PD well ahead of MS, Alzheimer's and ALS.  So, it is a matter of "when", not "if".

In the brain, there are non-specific cells called progenitor cells that, with the right stimulation, can be transformed into more specific cells. Some of them are in the substantia nigra, the location of the dopamine producing cells needed by PWP, and scientists  hope to convince those progenitor cells to become dopamine producers.  They are certain it will be done.

As the Romans liked to say; "certum est quod certum reddi potest" (It is certain, whatever can be rendered certain).

A cure is coming.  Will I be too old when it arrives?

Was I just oblivious to the rose!?

No comments:

Post a Comment