counter

Tuesday 23 August 2011

If dancing were any easier, it would be called football.

Brother Don: "I know this will sound selfish, but is PD genetic?"

Me: "Possibly, especially when it is late onset. Incidence of this type of PD is low, perhaps as low as 5%. Exposure to pesticides may also play a role. Remember all those times we ran through the DDT when they sprayed for mosquitos? Kind of wish we hadn't done that now."

After telling him our father may have had it and our mother, at 93, shakes so much she can hardly get a glass of water into her mouth
.

Brother: "Me too. When I am carrying a cup, especially with a saucer, it sounds like castanets!"

I don't think my brother has to worry about PD. He might want to get checked for essential tremor.

PD tremor is a resting tremor. As I have said, I only shake when my hand is at rest or hanging by my side. The rest of the time, when it is occupied, it is normal.

Essential tremor is the opposite. The hand shakes when it is being used, such as raising a glass or carrying a cup and saucer. It is also a progressive neurological disorder, maybe associated with environmental factors. It can also cause problems in later life. It is treatable with drugs.

If you have to choose between PD and ET, choose the latter. Although, another benefit of PD is I have finally got some rhythm; well, really in just one arm. But, it doesn't matter, I am too tired to dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment