counter

Monday 22 August 2011

I love to sleep. I'd sleep all day if I could. - Miley Cyrus

When I read yesterday's post, I sound somewhat pathetic.  It is not as bad as it appears in that post.  Most days are almost normal, save for the shakes and inexorable exhaustion.

I have suffered from daily fatigue for some years.  Initially, this was thought to be caused by fibromyalgia, a diagnosis which really says, "we have no idea what is causing your problems".  Aches, pains and tiredness.  Now  I believe these were simply symptoms of PD.

The type of fatigue I am talking about is a general malaise, not bad enough to interfere with daily activities, but bad enough to ensure an early bedtime. I will call that PD fatigue.

I continue to suffer from that fatigue but it has been compounded, I think by the mirapex, the drug I take to combat my symptoms.

I suffer the PD fatigue until early to mid afternoon when, like the onset of an expected surprise party, it hits me.  Exhaustion suddenly envelops my body.  My wife would describe it as a swift journey into unresponsiveness.  This exhaustion is mind-numbing and rules out any normal activity. Fortunately, it can be fleeting. I can either nap for about 10-15 minutes or wait a half hour or so until it gives up and leaves me alone.  Either way, I feel it let go and I relax back into PD fatigue, a condition I can deal with.

This exhaustion is just one of the side effects of mirapex.  Why do I only get the negative side effects? I am missing out on its most interesting effect, hallucinations.  I haven't had a drug induced hallucination since the early 70's; although, come to think of it, that one lasted hours and scared the bejeezus out of me, so I never tried again.  Still......

The strange thing is, mirapex can also cause insomnia.  That is rare for me because I take sleeping pills; however, this post was started at 4:30 in the morning.   Couldn't sleep.

I will just have to follow the advice of W.C. Fields who said, "The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep."

I am going to have to wait until early afternoon for that particular pleasure. In the meantime, why is that elephant across the room staring at me?






This blog is intended to inform, especially newly diagnosed victims.  PD is not a death sentence; for me, for now, (I know it will get worse) it is an annoyance.  Sufferers who want more information should visit  Parkinson's Forum, a site in the United Kingdom. There you will find the "old pros", experienced people with parkinson's who have a wealth of knowledge they are willing to share.



No comments:

Post a Comment