counter

Sunday 21 August 2011

The Parky Two-Step

I have good days and bad days.  Yesterday was not a good day.  PD threw a phalanx of symptoms at me.  Not sure what brought it on; maybe a small stressor that 6 months ago, I would have all but ignored.  Stress does exacerbate the symptoms.  Anyway, mid morning I had difficulty getting my hand under control.  My right arm joined in the fun.  Then my neck became stiff and sore, followed by left arm aping my neck.  Combine all this with cramps in my right leg and foot and you have the whole potpurri of PD at this stage.

What to do?

My wife and daughter and her newborn were at our cottage.  My older boy and his family were at their cottage and my younger boy - well, who knew where he was.  No shoulders to cry on.  I made up my mind at 6pm, I needed a shot of Sharron (wife), so I hopped in my car and headed for Winnipeg Beach.  Upon arrival, less than an hour later, I learned my son-in-law had joined the ladies at the cottage.  We stayed up late talking, about everything except PD, and gradually I relaxed.

PD is not present when you sleep.  All symptoms disappear with the exception of occasional muscle spasms in the leg.  That is the reason I usually go to bed rather early.  The symptoms do not reappear until about an hour after waking up.

I awoke this morning symptom free for the usual grace period.  I am now beginning to experience the exhaustion cycle, but more on that tomorrow.  Right now, I need a nap.

Such is the joy of PD.  Family is everything in helping to keep it at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment