counter

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Must be the Season of the Snitch

One night, just as I was falling asleep, my left leg jerked straight out and jumped about 2 inches off the bed, like some macabre can-can.  Just a myoclonic spasm, I thought.  I have had them frequently throughout my life - not as rigid and dramatic as this one, but because they were not painful, they were never a concern and certainly, I never thought of them as foreshadowing parkinson's

Turned out I might have been wrong.  A myoclonic spasm (or myoclonic jerk) can be a perfectly normal occurance, but, it can also be a sign of a neurological disorder such as parkinson's.  Glad I didn't know about it when I was young.  There are somethings that are better left in the dark.

The myoclonic spasm is only one omen of coming difficulties.  I am learning to recognize others.  My right calf muscle will sometimes come alive with what feels like the sparks you get when you pick up a static charge - it is telling me that something I am not going to like is going to happen.  These stool pigeon sparks are usually accompanied by the occasional foot jerk.  I know this won't be a peaceful night.  Sure enough, my right calf begins to harden and ache.  Nevertheless, I usually fall asleep, only to be disturbed by a nasty charlie horse  at some point.  I try various methods of relaxing the muscle without getting out of  bed and have found that if I assume a fetal position, the muscle relaxes quicker.  Going back to the womb for a little reassurance.

I am learning to live with PD and so far, it is really not so bad.  Now, if I can only resolve the exhaustion issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment