counter

Saturday 13 August 2011

Pop up little flower pot, pop up.

The beast struck at 4AM.  Suddenly my right leg shot straight out and shrieked with pain.  I sat bolt upright, my leg rock hard and my right foot starting to turn inward and upward.  It wasn't the first time my brain had struck with such ferocity.  I knew what to do.  I jumped out of bed, forcing my wayward foot square to the floor and stood there for a couple of minutes as the agony turned to ecstasy.  I had won the battle with my brain.  Time for a little celebration - tempered by the knowledge that it was a pyrrhric victory, for I can never win the war.

It is strange what thoughts go through your head as you await your relief.  It is 1956 and I am a boy in Larkhill, England.  I have lived here for a year.  I am pretending to be a champion bowler on a cricket team.  Time after time I try to imitate the windmill, straight arm delivery of a bowler but my North American muscles betray me.  Too much baseball.  My brain won't help me.  My arm won't remain stiff through the windmill windup and I end up leading with my elbow.   I am frustrated but keep on trying.  To this day, I have been unsuccessful, but every now and then, when I am alone, I try it with a nerf ball - without success - but that doesn't mean I will quit trying.  I just have to convince my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment