counter

Saturday 12 November 2011

All progress is precarious

Here is an update of my status in my (hopefully) long journey.

I still feel like only my right side is affected, but I don't know for sure. As it was explained to me, as long as the drugs are working, you'll never know how far the disease has progressed - at least in the early stages.

Tremor - confined to my right hand but only occasionally and not nearly with the ferocity as before the drugs. No longer a problem; touch wood.

Leg spasms - have all but disappeared. I get the occasional spasm in my right leg but nothing like the "beast". My feet and toes are not affected and I can usually wait out the spasm which lasts but a few minutes.

Myoclonic type spasms - these are becoming more numerous. They occur in a series of 3 or 4 "jerks" as I am falling asleep. Legs, arms and head are the most frequent victims; although they have occurred in my torso as well.

Balance - no problems

Walking - thought I might have a problem with wobbly legs but I now think that was just hypochondria.

Stiffness - definitely getting stiffer. With activity I loosen up but when I first start out the day, I am extremely stiff throughout my body.

Mentally - doing fine. Occasionally, I see an unwelcome future but, for some unknown reason, I don't dwell on it. Certainly, no depression.

Sleeping - no more than 3 hours straight. A definite sleep disturbance.

Drug dosage per day - 4 amantadine per day (max dosage) and 2mg of mirapex (2 pills 4 times daily). My only side effects are a rash and midday exhaustion.

As that sci-fi writer, Joan Vinge, said.....Wouldn't it be wonderful if no one ever had to worry about the random cruelty of illness or the woes of old age attacking them or their loved ones? (not a precise quote but words to that effect)

Amen to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment