counter

Thursday 3 November 2011

Only the good die young

Went to the funeral of an old friend yesterday. She was 61 years young and, even though I hadn't seen her much in the last couple of decades, I will miss her presence on earth.

I knew there would be a lot of people there, so I planned ahead, taking my medication at the appropriate time and even bringing some with me. Well, as soon as I got in the door, my right hand started up. I pocketed it and made a fist. This worked for a few minutes, then out came the drugs. They were of no help whatsoever. The hand kept on trying to embarrass me. I lasted through the funeral and the hand slowed down as I sat quietly, squeezing it with my left hand. But, at the reception it started again so I pocketed it once more, controlling it by squeezing my car keys, and went to talk to her loved ones. The all pervading sadness in the room was just too great and my hand took advantage of it. I quickly said my goodbyes and left. Within 20 minutes the tremor had stopped and I was back to normal.

Stress and sadness and PD do not go together.

No comments:

Post a Comment