counter

Tuesday 8 November 2011

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. (Voltaire)

Well, it is a certainty. I just returned from the Movement Disorder Clinic and a third doctor confirmed what I already knew - I have parkinson's. There can be no doubt. I have most of the required markers:

1. slowness of movement - sometimes, especially when I stand up and begin to
move. Once I am moving, I am normal
2. tremor - check. My hand has a mind of its own when I am not medicated.
3. stiff muscles - check. Getting out of bed is a chore.
4. poor balance - not really, but once or twice I have wondered.

The most telling marker is the fact that the medication I take is widely used in PD and for me, it works. If it works, you probably have PD.

Other secondary symptoms I have (or have had). Constipation - which in my case is a blessing - no more runner's diarrhea. Excessive saliva - sometimes. Difficulty swallowing - about a year ago or so for a couple of weeks. Change in voice - I am sounding like Mel Torme - the velvet fog - but with strep throat. Cramped handwriting - keeps getting worse. Dry skin on the face and scalp - yep, got that too.

I have been lucky to date. I lived a charmed life and thought continued luck was a sure thing. The only sure thing about luck is it can change without notice.

Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment