counter

Thursday 15 December 2011

Do the Hokey Pokey

I discovered a new symptom on my walk today - my right arm had become lazy and didn't seem to want to swing to the extent my left arm did. The result of my right arm lacking the energy to move was, it tended to do a dead hang by the side of my body. Hanging by my side in turn caused my hand to jump around. I found that if I made my arm swing in a greater arc, the hand tremor all but disappeared.

This is the first I have noticed the dead arm. I realize that lack of arm swing is a popular symptom of PD, but my arms have always acted in the manner they are supposed to act. I am hoping this was an aberration, brought on by my heavy parka and the fact that I carry my ipod, to keep it from freezing, inside my right mitten, next to my hand.

All the while, I couldn't get this ditty out of my head..._"You put your right hand in. You put your left hand in and you turn it all about. Do the hokey pokey ....that's what it's all about" (something like that)

How appropriate, I think, to compare PD with the hokey pokey!

2 comments:

  1. ummmm .... the hokey-pokey .... ummm .... sounds kinda like dancin' Doug !!! Who knows, you didn't dance before PD but ..... no telling what might happen now ..... just thiniin'. edie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of another family favorite that applies to the pd obsessed...
    Side by Side
    Oh! We ain`t got a barrel of money
    Maybe we`re ragged and funny
    But we`ll travel along
    Singing a song
    Side by side
    I don`t know what`s a-comin` tomorrow
    Maybe it`s trouble and sorrow
    But we`ll travel the road
    Sharing our load
    Side by side
    through all kinds of weather
    What if the sky should fall
    Just as long as we`re together
    It really doesn`t matter at all
    When they`ve all had their quarrels and parted
    We`ll be the same as we started
    Just traveling along
    Singing a song
    Side by side
    (Repeat last two verses)
    Songwriters: WHITE, MAURICE/VAUGHN, WAYNE/VAUGHN, WANDA LOUISE
    Side By Side lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, SHAPIRO BERNSTEIN & CO. INC.

    ReplyDelete