counter

Friday 30 December 2011

May the gods divert the omens.

I am hyper-aware of tiny differences in my body - little ticks, perceived numbness and weakness, lurid dreams, etc. I treat each one as an omen of things to come. I am fully cognizant that PD is degenerative and will continue to attack me; I just don't want it to happen too quickly; hence, I am extremely sensitive of any sign that the PD is progressing at an alarming rate.

Christmas eve and the day after Christmas, I felt changes in my left hand and leg. OMENS! I thought these were indications that I was advancing into stage 2, where both sides of the body are affected; however, I have not had a repeat of either symptom since. Touch wood they stay away until sometime in the distant future. It will happen but I can't let myself dwell on the inevitability.

For my own well-being, I have got to learn to ignore the omens and just take the changes as they come. In the meantime, other than going to bed at an ungodly early hour, my life continues along a "normal path" along with omens lurking in the shadows.

But, as Oscar Wilde once said (good crossword clue) “There is no such thing as an omen. Destiny does not send us heralds. She is too wise or too cruel for that.”

I will have to have that engraved on my forehead so I don't forget.

Happy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment