counter

Monday 19 December 2011

Every head has its own headache

I have been told I am stage one of PD, but I keep getting symptoms that most PWP would assign to later stages. Fortunately, they come and then they disappear. For example, when I had trouble swallowing which occurred over a year or two ago, it lasted about 3 weeks, and has never returned. It makes me wonder if I am at a later stage as trouble swallowing is not usually associated with early stage one.

Although I was only diagnosed earlier this year, I had had some strange problems off and on over the previous two decades. One in particular was a 6 month headpain. I am not talking about a headache. This was terrible pain in my head just behind my eyes. I used to fall asleep with my head on a bag of frozen peas in order to get relief. My GP sent me to a neurologist who gave me an EEG and told me, "there is an abnormality in the results but don't worry, about 10% of the people who take this test will present with the same abnormality and be in good health." Of course, he thought he was setting my mind at ease, but all I could think of was "90% have a problem." More tests were performed - but revealed nothing wrong. I tried all forms of treatment, including having a practitioner of Chinese medicine stick needles in my head and taking massive doses of vitamin B. Both were quite an experience, but did nada to help me. Nothing worked. The headpain finally went away on its own. It stayed away for about two years, when it returned to torment me for about 3 weeks. That was in the early 90's and it has not made a comeback since (writer touches wood).

Now I wonder if that headpain was due to PD? How long has this condition been attacking my brain! It is not far out to think I have maybe had PD for 20 years or so.

Meanwhile, if I get a headache, I will just follow the instructions on the aspirin bottle - "take 2 aspirin" and "keep away from children."

No comments:

Post a Comment