counter

Tuesday 20 December 2011

Listen to many, speak to a few.

Well, it's official. I am losing my voice.

Yesterday, I went to a speech therapist who specializes in problems associated with PD. She put a device in front of me that measures decibels. She then had me do several tests. For example, I had to describe to her one of the times in my life when I was really happy. This is not as easy as it sounds because I haven't had too many sad times. Mostly, I have always been happy. Anyway, I rambled on about the births of my children - the great improv artist. God, I even bored myself!

Testing lasted about 30 minutes and then came the conclusion, "Your voice is below the normal speaking range. It is quite low. Do others have problems hearing you?"

"My wife does," I said, "But then, she is losing her hearing. (nervous chuckle with a respondent smile). I would say yes, people are having a hard time hearing me."

"We have a program here at the movement disorder clinic that will help you with that problem. And she rose and gave me a folder outlining the program. The Lea Silverman Voice Treatment, an intensive program of voice exercises that targets vocal intensity, quality and variation -- precisely the areas of difficulty for persons with PD. That will begin in April, twice a week for 8 weeks. I decided to go for it for the sake of anyone listening to me, if or when I might have something to say.

If the LSVT doesn't work, I can live with a voice that has a touch of the Barney Fife quality to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment