counter

Friday 9 December 2011

"On the other hand, you have different fingers" (Stephen Wright)

It was -23C when I went for my walk this morning (4:30AM). On the one hand, the cold, crisp air was invigorating; on the other hand ..... Wait, I couldn't put anything on the other hand. It had a mind of its own and was jumping around like a bat out of hell. This has happened on a previous cold day too. Coincidence? Not likely. Apparently, temperature extremes can affect PD.

Here, on the Canadian prairies, I can test that theory with the cold; but, I anxiously await our annual trip to Miami Beach so I can test it with the heat. In the meantime, from the Bard of the Yukon.....



Some planks I tore from the cabin floor
And lit the boiler fire.
Some coal I found that was lying around
And heaped the fuel higher.
The furnace roared and the flames they soared,
Such a blaze you seldom see.
Then I burrowed a hole in the glowing coal
And I stuffed in Sam McGee.
...
And there sat Sam, looking cold and calm
In the heart of the furnace roar.
He wore a smile you could see a mile,
And he said "Please shut that door!
It's warm in here, but I greatly fear
You'll let in the cold and storm.
Since I left Plumtree, down in Tenessee,
It's the first time I've been warm.

from "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert Service

No comments:

Post a Comment