counter

Sunday 2 October 2011

A catharsis. “Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away.”

People often ask me how I am doing. I am more concerned and upset over the fact that the Blue Bombers cannot score a touchdown from the one yard line (to win the game) than I am over my parkinson's diagnosis.

Of course, it is always there, in the back of my thoughts, that someday I will likely become incapacitated. To be honest, I think I will be dead before hitting stage 5. Small consolation. The thing is, I don't dwell on it. I still do everything I did before; I just do it earlier because my bed time is now around 8PM. For example, yesterday I did a 2 mile walk at 5AM. This was a little later than usual because I stayed up until 10PM watching the Bombers lose the nail biter the night before. They can't score from the one yard line! I mean, one yard! one lousy yard! Two tries to get into the end zone from the one yard line and they blow it!

It just doesn't make sense to worry about PD; afterall, I have no control over the disease, so there is nothing I can do about it. I will deteriorate over time but that's just the way it is - we all will deteriorate with age, I will just do it faster.

There are more important things to worry about. Like a football team that breaks my heart. Besides, to paraphrase somebody (I forget who)...Before going to sleep, I surrender all my worries to God. He is going be up all night anyway.

Better him than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment