counter

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Walk Don't Run and the danger of yawning

I finally got up the nerve to run a little ways - half a mile. It has been a few weeks but it still felt good. My groin pull still hurts somewhat, but I can live with it.

I like running because it gets the exercise over with quickly. If it weren't for that, I would hate running. In fact, I would hate exercising. Recently, I read that exercise is essential for PWP. That's good because I have been running for 40 years. I have a touch of OCD and if I don't exercise, I drive everyone crazy with my foul mood.

Now I discover that a recent study showed low impact exercises to be the most beneficial for PWP. In that study, the low impact exercise was slow walking on a tread mill for an hour. Oh, the horror! One hour on a treadmill - I might last one session. Other low impact exercises suggested were dancing (as if! I have two left feet and one doesn't work so well), aerobics (you need some sense of rhythm for that. Aerobics is out) or pilates (right! I'm not even sure what that is).

Thankfully, I don't mind walking. I just turn on the Ipod Touch and go for about an hour, now just 2 times a week. It is better than a treadmill because there are things to see. The other two days I do race walking for 2 miles on an indoor track and the stationary bike for 20 minutes (about 8 miles) and some resistance training.

But, what will happen when winter comes? Remember -20C is not unusual. We northern PWP just have another obstacle to overcome, compounded because in winter, I have a strong desire to hibernate.

The above was written late last night. At the moment it is approaching 5AM. I have been awake since 4AM. I was lying in bed in that twilight zone between unconsciousness and consciousness when I gave a huge yawn. This was a stimulus for my right leg to shoot straight and my calf muscle to knot up like a sailor's rope. The pain was something else. I rubbed at my leg but it was like rubbing an iron bar. I kept rubbing and it gradually subsided but the pain remains even now, an hour later, albeit not as gut wrenching. I remain tired and yawning.

A yawn is a silent shout.

No comments:

Post a Comment