counter

Tuesday 4 October 2011

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do......

Okay, I know I have written about this before, but it is driving me crazy. I cannot talk properly. My voice has all but disappeared. It would be impossible for me to shout "theater" in a crowded fire or anywhere else. I sound like Tony Bennett with laryngitis, only quieter.

89% of PWP have speech problems, the most common being hypophonia (reduced volume), monotone (reduced pitch) and dysarthria (problems with articulation).

I keep apologizing to people I am talking to when they ask me to repeat myself. People also pull back from me saying "I don't want to catch that cold" or words to that effect. I let it go because I don't want to go into long explanations.

I also hear myself talking and it is frustrating because I am used to my real voice. This new voice is going to take some getting used to. Pretty soon, people will refer to me as the "low talker", like that woman in the Seinfeld episode.

I have been scolded in the past with "You are just not listening!". Now, that is all I will be doing. Voiceless people don't talk; we just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment