counter

Wednesday 19 October 2011

“The future is no place to place your better days.”

I have seen better days. The problem is not the present and only to some extent is it the future. It is the past. On my walk I got to thinking about the things I could do in the past which will be denied me in the future. Running fast enough that you create a breeze, swimming a mile, being able to stand upright, a steady hand, a feeling of well being - all just examples of what I am talking about.

Do I sound depressed? I am not. Even without PD, most things I could do in the past would not be available to me in the future. With PD, I may reach the "inability point" earlier than my healthy friends, but either way, we all get to it sooner or later.

I shall try to concentrate on the present and not project my degrees of wellness, or lack thereof, into the future.

I found out that if I don't take my medication at specific intervals (every 4 hours), I come to regret it. Yesterday, I forgot one dose and the result this morning was, on my early walk, my right hand attempting to do a solo merengue. Fortunately, after 20 minutes or so of walking, my hand calmed down and went back to normal. That felt better. Normal is good. Abnormal is just a state of mind. I will stick with feeling normal.

To quote Voltaire, "life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the life boats".

No comments:

Post a Comment