counter

Monday 12 September 2011

It's a quarter to 3. Only the dogs are awake...and me.

I decided to get up and do some work. Sleeping was difficult, even with the drugs. First my back hurt but a heating pad helped that. But then, insidiously, the skin on my right lower leg became hard. Hard! you say. That is the only way to describe it. The skin itself wasn't hard, it just felt hard. The beast was returning. Gradually the "hardness" crept into my calf muscle and began its malevolent work. My hardened calf started to twist and my leg straightened like a steel pipe. Little jolts began firing in my foot. That was not a good omen! I tried to ignore the beast but it had its mission and wasn't about to let it go.

"What the hell," I said aloud and got off the bed and planted both feet on the floor and stood there for a few minutes. The muscle relaxed and the beast retreated. I, on the other hand, could not relax so here I am at about 3:15 AM writing in my blog. There is still some pain in my leg but if I don't think about it....well, at this moment I have not achieved that level of nirvana yet.

The last time I was out of bed this early was when my kids were young at Christmas. We were indulgent parents and let them drag us from under the covers and down the stairs to see what Santa had brought. Previously to that, the only time(s) I was up this early was when I hadn't gone to bed and didn't plan to in the next couple of hours. Parties can be sleep deprivers.

It is a cruelty of life, not being able to sleep when it is pitch black outside. Totally unnatural. Thank God for the afternoon nap. Consciousness is that annoying period between naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment