counter

Wednesday 7 September 2011

The Vulcan Mind Meld

Okay, so this has nothing to do with Vulcans - just a catchy title.

Yesterday, I had no tremor, zero, ziltch, none and I think it was due to the melding of the effects of two little pills, mirapex and amantadine. I took them both in the morning and after two or three hours - no tremor. Of course, I was too tired to celebrate as I suspect that state of zombiism I slipped into was the result of the pill meld.

Mirapex is a "dopamine agonist" and it mimics or imitates the action of dopamine. As I mentioned earlier, besides sleepiness, some side effects of mirapex are hallucinations, leg swelling and obsessions with food, sex and activities such as shopping, gambling and Internet use. Of course, I get eating! Maybe some internet use but I have always been on the internet for extended periods of time, so that doesn't count.

Amantadine, is an anti-viral drug, which seems to enhance dopamine and blocks glutamate, a brain transmitter which acts as a neurotoxin in the presence of impaired cells, such as those which produce dopamine.

Or something like that.

Whatever they do, they have taken away my tremor, which I won't miss, and have given me an excuse for a power nap in the afternoon. Success is sweet.


If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. - W.C. Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment